As I recovered from my Emergency Room visit, I wasn’t able to do much work. Instead, I focused on getting to know my Dream Clients better. I had done so many client avatar exercises and free opt-ins, but nothing seemed to help. They all seemed disconnected from reality. I simply didn’t see the point of doing those exercises. Then what? What did I do with them? Where was the sunrise-salute doing, green-tea drinking unicorn I had described?
- I outlined what I believed were the core traits of my ideal clients (hypothesis)
- Went where I thought they were online
- Interviewed them (tested hypothesis)
- Applied the results (changed the copy of my marketing, sales page etc)
This was absolutely transformational for my business in 3 ways:
- I realised that my ideal clients were actually different from whom I thought they were
- I realised that I had been looking for them in the wrong places
- I realised that what they wanted from me was different to what I had though
Understanding your clients means using the right language, creating the right products and services, writing marketing copy that works, and building relationships with your audience.
Because that’s how you build a business.